I have mixed feelings about the Fathead pizza crust. While I like the texture I don't like the extra work of having to melt the cheese in it before mixing up the dough and I don't like the added cream cheese many recipes called for. So, when I saw this recipe I thought I'd give it a try. The original version can be found here: https://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/topic/72501-glucomanan-bread/
I liked how it turned out, but it was pretty challenging for me to spread, it was so sticky!! So I gave it another try, making a a few changes and I'm so happy with the result! It isn't nearly as sticky as it was originally and a quick spray of cooking spray on the spatula solves that problem. Since it has a generous amount of cheese in the crust and reminds me of the fathead crust, I renamed it Batter Mock Fathead Pizza Crust.
It has a crispy edge on the crust and the crust itself is pretty crispy if you use the full amount of cheese. Using half the cheese, it still has a crispy edge but the center of the crust is slightly softer, a little more bread like, but it can still be easily held in your hand even when hot. No fork needed for this crust! The crust itself is very flavorful even without toppings and would be great to dip into other sauces or dips or used as flatbread for sandwiches.
Batter Mock Fathead Pizza Crust
For the crust only there are 0.87 net carbs per slice, when cutting pizza into 10 slices.
6 tbsp. golden ground flax meal (48 gm) (I use this brand) 2 tbsp. fine almond flour (18 gm) (I use this brand) 4 tsp. glucomanan/konjac powder (12 gm) (I use this brand) 1 tbsp. baking powder (gluten free) non-GMO (grain free if needed) (12 gm) (I use this brand) 1 tsp. Pizza Seasoning (I use Penzey's frozen Pizza Seasoning) 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt 3 lg. eggs 3 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp. water 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or firm cheese of your choice*
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place oven rack in lower third of oven. Line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine flax, almond flour, glucommanan, baking powder, Italian seasonings or pizza seasonings, garlic powder and salt; mix well.
3. In a food processor, mixer or blender; beat eggs until fluffy. Add water and oil; beat/process well. Add flax mixture and shredded cheese; process/beat until a batter is formed. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken to a thick batter/soft, sticky dough; spread on parchment paper to form a 1/4-inch thick pizza crust. Spray spatula or rubber scraper with cooking spray if mixture begins to stick. If using a blender, pour onto parchment paper before it thickens too much to easily scrape out of blender. Immediately, rinsing blender container to prevent mixture from sticking.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until crust is golden. Top with pizza toppings of choice. Slide pizza while still on parchment but without the pan onto the oven rack. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and toppings are cooked through. Slide baking sheet under parchment, remove from oven and let cool several minutes before cutting into 10 slices.
5. *Note, you can reduce the cheese to 1/2 cup if you wish. The crust's texture will be slightly softer but it can still be held in your hand.
Nutrition Facts Serving size: 1/10 of a recipe (1.5 ounces). Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients and is only for the crust.
Amount Per Serving Calories 139.45 Total Fat 11.97g Saturated Fat 3.48g Cholesterol 67.67mg Sodium 295.26mg Potassium 33.75mg Total Carbohydrates 3.76g Fiber 2.89g Sugar 0.18g Protein 6.22g