As you can see from the picture, I toasted this a little too long, so keep the setting low when you toast yours.
This bread recipe is perfect when you want a single serving of crunchy bread/biscuit.
I was worried it might be dry without a little oil in the dough so I added 1/2 teaspoon oil to the original recipe. I loved how it turned out, crunchy when toasted but not the least bit dry. I spread it with butter and mashed strawberries (quick low carb "jam", lol) to soothe my cravings for toast with butter and jam. I only wished I had made two servings ;-)
Microwave Keto Bread
1/4 cup flax meal (I use this brand) 1 tsp. coconut flour (I use this brand) 1/4 tsp. baking soda 1 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk or any unsweetened plant based milk 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar (I use this brand) 1/2 tsp. olive oil or melted coconut oil, optional Mixed Seed Topping 1/4 tsp. sesame seeds or hemp seeds 1/4 tsp. chia seeds or poppy seeds 1/4 tsp. raw pumpkin seeds, optional 1/4 tsp. raw sunflower seeds, optional
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine flax meal, coconut flour and baking soda; mixing thoroughly. Stir in almond milk, vinegar and oil if using. Stir to form a tacky ball. It should not take more than 1 minute. The dough is slightly sticky at first but easily comes together into a bread ball. Iif it is too dry, slightly add a bit more almond milk 1/2 teaspoon at a time.
2. Mix the seed onto a plate, place the bread ball onto the seed, press with your hand to flatten the dough and stick the seed on one side. Repeat on the other side. You should end up with a 1 cm (slightly over 1/4-inch) thick bread with seeds on both sides.
3. Place the bread on a plate, microwave on high for 1 minutes. You can add 30 seconds if you like your bread very tough/hard as French people do. Cool on a wire rack for at least 1 minute. Slice in half and toast lightly, if desired.
4. Storage: this bread doesn't store more than 1 hour. Texture will change with time so it is better to prepare your bread just before eating. You can simply mix the dry ingredients the day before, add almond milk and vinegar in the morning and it is ready in 90 seconds! Milk: use milk of your choice. I recommend almond milk as a dairy free low calorie milk. No Microwave? That is ok, bake your bread at 360 C in the oven for 8-12 minutes. Make sure you place your bread on a baking rack covered with parchment paper. This technique makes bread even crispier and store better than the microwave one! Perfect if you want to make ahead some bread for breakfast sandwich.
5. Note: I was craving toast with butter and low carb "jam" so I didn't use all the seeds suggested only sesame seeds and chia seeds. The 1/2 teaspoon of seeds was plenty to coat both sides of the bread.
Nutrition Facts Serving size: Entire recipe (1.8 ounces). Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving Calories 163.19 Total Fat 13.72g Saturated Fat 1.06g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 324.54mg Potassium 6.95mg Total Carbohydrates 9.83g Fiber 9.07g Sugar 0.35g Protein 6.56g