Congee is a soothing soup/porridge that is great when you don't feel the best or want comfort food. You can add cooked meat or protein if you'd like, chicken or tempeh would be wonderful in it. I made it low carb by substituting cauliflower "rice" for the real rice that is usually used.
4 cups chicken, vegetarian "chicken" or vegetable broth (I use this brand) 4 cups cauliflower rice (finely chopped cauliflower) 1 cup shredded rutabaga 4 lg. garlic cloves, minced 1 tsp. roasted sesame oil (I use this brand) Unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper Roasted Mushrooms and Radishes 6 small crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced 12 medium radishes, cut in half 2 tsp. roasted sesame oil, divided (I use this brand) 1 tsp. gluten free soy sauce, tamari sauce, Bragg's liquid Aminos, or coconut aminos 1/4 tsp. ground ginger Unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 3 Green Onions (scallions), sliced
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, cauliflower, rutabaga and sesame oil. Bring to a low boil; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until vegetables are very tender; stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, prepare roasted vegetables.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line an 11 x 7-inch baking pan with parchment.
4. In a medium bowl, combine radishes, with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ginger and soy sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper. Spread onto parchment lined baking sheet, roast 20 minutes. Meanwhile, add mushrooms to same bowl, toss with remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. When radishes have roasted 20 minutes. Add mushrooms in a single level. Roast both vegetables an additional 20 minutes or until radishes are tender.
5. To Serve: spoon congee into bowls, top with equal amounts of roasted radishes and mushrooms. Sprinkle generously with green onion. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (16 ounces). Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet. Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving Calories 106
% Daily Value Total Fat 4g 6% Saturated Fat 1g 3% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 702mg 29% Potassium 668mg 19% Total Carbohydrates 14g 5% Fiber 4g 17% Sugar g Protein 7g 14%