top of page


Low Carb "Apple" Cider

Low Carb Apple Cider Recipe from B'ssert LLC

One of the things I miss as a diabetic is a mug of hot apple cider, so I developed this low carb version. No, it isn't identical to real apple cider but it is a delicious alternative with no nasty artificial sweeteners and 3 net carbs per serving including the "meat" of the chayote. Carbs will be less if it is completely strained with the pulp thrown away.

Low Carb "Apple" Cider 4-1/2 cups water 1 chayote squash, peeled and coarsely chopped or sliced (including seed if desired.) 4 Cinnamon Apple Spice herbal tea bags (I use this brand) 1 envelope True Orange, optional 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks 2 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar (I use this brand) 1/2 tsp. konjac (glucommanan) powder* (I use this brand), optional Zero carb sweetener of choice, to taste 1. In a medium saucepan, combine water, squash, tea bags, True Orange (if using), cinnamon sticks and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours. When cool enough to handle drain, through cheesecloth or a jelly bag, squeezing bag to extract all the goodness. Sweeten to taste. *If you prefer your cider with more body, sprinkle with konjac powder and whisk in. Reheat before drinking. Recipe can be doubled and prepared in a 3 quart slow cooker, cooking on Low 8 hours or High 3-4 hours. 2. For an unfiltered cider: Press through a metal strainer scraping pulp from bottom of strainer into cider. 3. For Caramel "Apple" Cider: Sweeten with your favorite low carb caramel sauce or caramel flavored stevia drops. 4. Also good served chilled. 5. Makes about 4 cups. Servings: 4 Nutrition Facts Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet. Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving Calories 28 Calories From Fat (7%) 1.94

% Daily Value Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 11mg <1% Potassium 68mg 2% Total Carbohydrates 8g 3% Fiber 5g 18% Sugar <1g Protein <1g 1%

Featured Posts
Follow Me
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey Pinterest Icon
bottom of page